> On Jan 27, 2016, at 4:44 AM, Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org> wrote:
>

> Hmph, it's concise, not confusing. Subversion's APIs expect all strings
> to be encoded in UTF-8, so the docstring can't just say
> "case-insensitive" because that would be extremely misleading in that
> context.
>
> APR makes no promises about the encoding, but mentioning that these
> functions are designed to work with the ASCII subset (or EBCDIC
> equivalent of same) would be quite important, I think?

I have no idea how encoding matters at all to the meaning
of case sensitivity... unless, somehow, 'A' and 'a' are
encoded to the exact same value.

In pretty much every description of string and character
comparison functions I've ever encountered, the terms "case
sensitive", "case insensitive" or "ignoring case" have all
been used to describe whether or not the function considers
the case of the character when doing the comparison. I've
never seen one use the phrase 'case-equivalent' which implies
the exact opposite of what it actually does.