On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 10:27 AM, Stefan Sperling <s...@stsp.name> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 03:27:57PM -0600, William A Rowe Jr wrote:
>> I ran into the same headache with my complete rewrite of
>> the fnmatch.c logic of BSD that we ship in APR, and delivered
>> my rewrite of the file under both licenses.
>
> For which OpenBSD is still grateful, by the way :)

https://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html now offers an
option that I wish I had pursued for the fnmatch.c component;

https://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#3party

In short, had we retained (and I assigned) simply the BSD license to
that file, following this caviet;

4. Minor modifications/additions to third-party source files should
typically be licensed under the same terms as the rest of the rest of
the third-party source for convenience.

then all further patches to apr_fnmatch.c would still be licensed in
BSD terms and consumable upstream, provided the PMC is agreeable;

5. Major modifications/additions to third-party should be dealt with
on a case-by-case basis by the PMC.

This would make the synchronization of POSIX [:class:] and other bug
fixes and extensions to apr_fnmatch much simpler.

Would this be acceptable to APR PMC?