On Apr 4, 2006, at 3:54 PM, Matt Price wrote:

comment:  seems to me that it might be a good idea to start some of the
actual deletion/consolidation suggested by Bruce or others.  WHile
fairly exhaustive, the document is currently pretty hard to follow and
very long.

Yeah, we need to be able to condense down all these documents to a few bullet points, really. The ToC at the top of the wiki page needs to be crystal clear.

Question:

bruce you make the following comment in that page:

bruce: We need to decide this issue ASAP; does formatting get generated
from an embedded XML file, or from elsewhere? If the former, the bib
data should be ALWAYS embedded (which would be my preference).

my question: what is lost when info is embedded rather than fetched?

Not much.

I don't see any other downside, except a somewhat larger file.  The
other option -- allowing non-embedded bibliographic data -- seems to me
unacceptable.  What happens when I'm on my laptop at another university
and suddenly can't log in to my research group's Refbase installation,
for instance?  I want to print out, but I'm screwed!

Likewise if you collaborate.

To go back to your list, Matt, I think once CPH has something functional with the citation coding, someone with at least some Python skills ought to step up and start figuring this stuff out. It can happen independent of the db design, in fact. And maybe Matthias and crew can help out with figuring out to best integrate something like RefBase.

Bruce