> On Apr 4, 2006, at 3:54 PM, Matt Price wrote:
> > my question: what is lost when info is embedded rather than fetched?

> > I don't see any other downside, except a somewhat larger file.  The
> > other option -- allowing non-embedded bibliographic data -- seems
> > to me unacceptable.  What happens when I'm on my laptop at another
> > university and suddenly can't log in to my research group's Refbase
> > installation, for instance?  I want to print out, but I'm screwed!

I do also think it's important that the bibliographic data travel with
the document. It may be a nice touch, though, if users could choose to
use an online database instead or re-fetch the embedded bibliographic
data from an online repository. A full sync feature may be rather
complicated, though.

When I'm on the go, I have the same problem that I want my bibliographic
data from our institute's refbase installation to travel with me. Using
the XAMPP package on Win or the build-in server features on OSX, it's
not too difficult to install web apps such as refbase locally on your
notebook. So I've installed refbase on my personal and all our
institute's notebooks. These local installations are updated simply by
re-installing refbase using backup MySQL dump files which are written
out every night by the main refbase server. So these local databases
are read-only, i.e. adding or modifying of records is only done on the
main server. It's not perfect but works for us.

On Tue, 4-Apr-2006 16:10 -0400, Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
> Likewise if you collaborate.
>
> To go back to your list, Matt, I think once CPH has something
> functional with the citation coding, someone with at least some Python
> skills ought to step up and start figuring this stuff out. It can
> happen independent of the db design, in fact. And maybe Matthias and
> crew can help out with figuring out to best integrate something like
> RefBase.

Let us know what you require. We're definitively interested in any
possible kind of integration.

The refbase SRU/W+CQL+MODS server capabilities do exist already and
are functional:

 <http://wiki.refbase.net/index.php/Search/Retrieve_web_services>

Speaking of improvements, we plan to adopt Robert Sanderson's PHP
CQLParser by which we'd gain decent CQL support. I've also started to
add OpenSearch support but I guess that this is less useful in terms of
OpenOffice integration.

Matthias