On Apr 4, 2006, at 9:41 PM, Matt Price wrote:

Synchronization with further modifications of the database -- when I open
five years old document, I would like it to reflect all updates and
corrections I made into my central bibliographic database in meantime.

so the question is:  how important is this use case?  And will it be
possible to accomodate it?  After all, in 5 years your whole
bibliographic management system may be utterly transformed -- what
then?

Actually, I think it's a) easy to do, and b) a good idea.

If we take the approach that we're agnostic about where the data source is, and we insist that all formattable metadata is embedded, then the process of adding a citation to a document means:

1)  add a citation pointer (a uri reference)
2) some little code uses that to ping the database for the record, which it embeds

Matej is just asking for the ability to regenerate the complete list, rather than only allow appending and deleting individual items. That's probably sensible in general.

For example, say you're using RefBase as your database and you notice a typo in one of your references. Instead of editing the local record, you should fix it in RefBase, and then the OOoBib code should grab the corrected version and reformat it.

And because we will (if all goes well) have a standardized metadata layer in ODF, that's all that matters WRT to interop and compatibility.

Bruce