As I see it, there are several reasons to keep locale.  None are
related to computer processing, but rather Library Science.  One can
strike a happy medium though with RFC3066.  This is a "language in
locale" hybrid - en-US (english in US), ap-MX (apache in Mexico) and so
forth.  While there is quite a bit of locale style associated with
numbers and dates, it is a fair assumption that an author or small
group of authors will use some *consistant* style, and translations can
be treated as semi-new documents for bibliographic purposes.

http://www.loc.gov/standards/mods/mods-outline.html#language
http://dtd.nlm.nih.gov/tag-library/2.2/index.html
http://www.diglib.org/preserve/hadtdfs.pdf

And besides, I'm soooooo sick of renting video's at Blockbuster (by
mistake) in languages I don't speak.  This is my revenge.

--Gannon