The GPG key is used for signing releases and nothing else. It doesn't
tie into source code (git or svn) at all. This is by design.

If I am a release manager, and I sign a release, when you download
that release you can see the signature and know that only I could have
made that signature.

Now, maybe you don't know me, but you know Michael, and you trust him,
and you see that Michael trusts me. Furthermore, Michael knows that
the GPG key belongs to me as a person, because we did a key signing
party[1].

Therefore  you can trust the release.

Apache rules say that each release manager's should be in the KEYS
file. As a matter of policy we don't store the KEYS file in git,
because we might not notice that someone has changed it.

Julian

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_signing_party