Hi,

I can say with 100% certainty that:
- ASF source releases cannot contain compiled code (jars, dlls or the like)
- ASF source releases cannot include Category B code compiled or not compiled
- ASF convenience binaries can contain Category B compiled code

In various roles at the ASF including PMC member, mentor, VP Incubator I have
reviewed somewhere between 600 and 700 releases (and possible more) over the
last decade. Every single time I've seen a source release candidate contained
compiled code I have voted -1 on it. I've see many many others do the same and
I cannot recall any source release containing compiled code being made an ASF
release. At ApacheCon I often give talks on how to make releases. Every release
check list I've seen includes a check for compile code. I could go on but I
think that's probably enough context.

On a couple of occasions there's been a little confusion around this so I'll
make sure the above is clearly stated in our legal FAQ/policy, after some
discussion on the legal discuss list.

This is not my project and I hope the PMC looks into this, decides what to do,
and does what they think is needed to correct this. It would be best not to
have to get the ASF board involved (of which I'm a current member). If the
board was to get involved then I think it would be likely, going on previous
similar situations, it would ask for the project to remove the non complainant
releases.

Thanks,
Justin