> I'm also comfortable with a strict approach where we just list actual
> Apache Cassandra offerings, that also provides good solid clarity to
> users.

That sounds like a reasonable proposal. I just do not know how we can do
that in practice. What is a actual Apache Cassandra offering and how do we
check that it is effectively one ?
What if the offering offers some secondary indices that are not delivered
with Apache Cassandra (it is the first pluggable thing that came to my
mind) or the code being used is a C* fork?

Two things that I found interesting are:
1 ) some companies that propose offerings only using some parts of Apache
Cassandra are contributing to the project in diverse ways
2)  the offer descriptions seem honest to me. They do not claim that they
run the official Apache Cassandra if they do not.

So, I would be more in favor of a welcoming approach in the hope that
people will be honest and that it might also lead them to invest and
contribute to the project.
The other advantage of that approach being that it will not put any
pressure on us to ensure that an offering is an actual Apache Cassandra
offering (which I am absolutely not interested in doing ;-))