OK - so hoping to inject some clarification to this discussion - maybe
it will make more sense.

Lets start with definitions, and I'll try and use caps when referring
to this definitions.

LEGAL - when I talk about legal problems below I refer to liability
incurred by individuals in the project, especially the release
manager, or the foundation itself. There are precious few real legal
issues in this particular discussion, but many legal POLICY issues.

POLICY - The ASF has a number of policy, including legal policies.
Some of these exist for 'LEGAL' reasons as defined above, some of
these are expectation/branding.

There are precious few real LEGAL issues in this particular
discussion, but many legal POLICY issues.

So the legal POLICY says that we may not depend and automatically
download GPL (or other Cat X) software. This is not necessarily
because of LEGAL problems. (But does help the ASF avoid them) We
clearly have a dependency on a number of GPL things - Linux, MySQL,
KVM, XenServer, etc. The difference is that we don't automatically
download those during the build of the project. E.g. people have to
make a conscious decision to consume copyleft (or proprietary)
software. It's fine for that decision to be mandatory (POLICY calls
this a system requirement) but we don't allow people to be 'surprised'
by ensuring that this is a conscious decision. Part of this is the
expectation that the ASF releases permissively licensed software -
'sneaking' copyleft software in as a dependency is a bad thing for
people whose expectation is otherwise; which brings us back to
requiring the explicit action for such system requirements.

The FLOSS exception is a moot point IMO unless VP Legal gives us a
waiver; and I am not inclined to seek it out. The problem I see with
the exception is that it deals with open source projects and not
potential downstream consumers who might fork or release under another
license.

IMO Damoder has the right idea - we should specify that this is
provided. I'll work on getting a patch that takes care of this in
shortly.

--David