To add another $0.02 to this conversation, beyond what I posted above.

Ideally, in my humble opinion, we would use Github Issues for issues that
do not currently have code associated with it.  Jira is currently being
used for this and it is useful for users to be able to flag bugs without
knowing how to solve them.  I believe this would require that issues be
turn on for the repo and the details of the issue be pushed to one of our
apache mailing lists.

One of the reasons why Jira has remained in play and we have not gone with
Github Issues in the past was due to security related issues.  I don't
believe we have the ability in Github to have private issues, which I
believe use use in Jira to handle security/CVE related issues.  This is
something we may have to solve for if we do leverage Github Issues, but I
will lets someone closer to how that all goes down comment and confirm or
deny this.

If we could use Github Issues and Github PRs as the only location for
issues and development, I think that would make contribution more
approachable and easier to convey to users.

Those are my additional thoughts...

*Will Stevens*
Chief Technology Officer
c 514.826.0190