Gianugo Rabellino wrote:

> It was a long time since I last used the Avalon
> instrumentation stuff, but it just seems like it's not
> working anymore. I'm following the provided instructions
> under tools/instrumentation, something is listening on port
> 15555 as expected but the GUI seems just to sleep in a "Not
> connected" status (and tcpdump shows very little, if any,
> traffic on that port). Am I overlooking something?
>
> More in general, I'm wondering what is the overall status of
> instrumentation and checking for community interest on this
> particular topic. I don't quite understand what is the status
> in Avalon-land of the instrumentation thingy, but it doesn't
> seem quite active.

It's not an official statement but I think I read on the Avalon
dev list that instrumentation is dead, perhaps I'm wrong.

> OTOH, I start to think that this proprietary instrumentation
> is a dead-end since it seems pretty clear that JMX is the way
> to go. I'm wondering if there is any interest (and
> kowledgeable people) in JMX-enabling Cocoon (for monitoring
> and management purposes only). I think that Cocoon
> deployments could benefit quite a bit from being properly
> instrumented.

Yes, JMX is imho the way to go, so a general +1. I don't have
much knowledge of JMX, but I would assistent and help in such
an effort whereever I can.

The simple question is only, which version we would use as base,
I would suggest 2.2.

Carsten