On Fri, 29 Oct 2004, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

Giacomo Pati wrote:

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

The current implementation of our continuations manager uses the
excalibur event package for the background checker that checks for
expired continuations.

Now, this approach has the problem, that excalibur event is
deprecated. In addition we aren't using it somewhere else,
so it would
be great if we could remove this dependency.

Yesterday, I wrote a simple replacement which I checked into 2.2:
a simple background thread is initialized that sleeps for a
configured
period of time, checks the continuations, sleeps etc.
Now, this solution should work.

The question is now, should I port this to 2.1.x as well? Are there
better solutions?

Does this mean the CommandManager from the Context is gone?

Yes, at least for 2.2 - for 2.1.x we would have to decide if we remove it.

Are you using it?

Yes, we used the CommandManager in some projects. It is based on the PooledExecutor from Doug Leas concurrent-utils package. It comes in quite handy as you can put tasks there you'd like to be done asynchroniously (ie. indexing a uploaded document with lucene to speed up percieved performance).

One alternative is that we build up our own CommandManager into the Context which is piece of cake to do.

--
Giacomo Pati