Why are marker interfaces preferred over this configuration style? These
interfaces introduce another dependency on Avalon. I think it is better
to not have these code dependencies, but to use configuration. This
makes it easier to host those components in other containers as well,
such as Spring. Same for the ThreadSafe marker interface, the
Initializable and the Disposable interfaces (configure a method to do
initialization/disposing of the object instead of implementing an
interface).

And I thought that people here rather move away from Avalon's
interfaces. Then why introduce another dependency on it, when
configuration can do the same?

Just curious.

Bart.