On Wed, 12 Oct 2016 22:48:49 +0200, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
Le 12/10/2016 à 18:45, Gilles a écrit :

So, what you say in substance is that you'd rather _wait_ for
someone to come by who will want to work with you on 3.x, rather
than continue with people, here and now, a work (CM4) that
started more than 3 years ago.

To be clear, I have no plan to maintain CM 3. I applied a small bug fix to CM 4, I just thought it would be nice to backport it if ever a new CM
3 release is required. That's all.

That backport served as an example that could lead to a broader
reflection on the future of a project and the "community" around
it; but you ignored it, again, by expressly cutting that part of
my message.

I'm doing open source mostly for fun, my motivation is to help and make
something useful to others, and if a fixed CM 3 makes someone happy,
then so am I.

I am sad that those one-shots gives the false impression that
CM3 (or CM4) is alive.

Some people here could have the project to maintain CM3; even
if I'd prefer that they would work on CM4, they are of course
free to decide where they want to contribute.

However, I find it extremely uneasy that there is no roadmap
whatsoever; only criticism of what I proposed.

Is that fix worth a CM 3.7 release?
If not, and nobody works towards a release, what did the
reporter actually gain?

What is the added value of this project if there is no
decision to move forward?
As I indicated a few months ago, the code sits there; and
the more time passes, the less it will attract new

Emmanuel Bourg