> On Oct 12, 2016, at 4:10 PM, Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org> wrote:
>
> IIRC, many PMC members did not "like" the idea of having more
> components.
> Even less so if those components are being extracted from Commons
> Math.
> The least "problematic" one, Commons RNG, barely collected the
> number of required votes for a release.
>
> Has that changed?
> Shall we request git repositories for the candidate components
> which I suggested back in May?

To be clear, Apache Commons currently lists about 40 sub-projects. These
projects are typically small and not closely related with any other sub-project
in any clear way.  The objection isn’t to adding more sub-projects, it is to
adding more sub-projects that seem related closely enough that really belong
together.  However, I don’t believe anyone objected to Commons Math being a
multi-module project.

I would object to creating new Commons components that are forked off from
Commons Math that have no maintainers. If there is code the Commons Math team
doesn’t want then just get rid of it in your new version.

Ralph