On Sun, 3 Dec 2017 11:18:18 +0100, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 2:26 PM, Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org> wrote:

There hasn't been any progress towards a decision.
There isn't even a consensus on one of the central tenets of
Apache ("Those who do the work..."): how sad/strange (?).

Those who do the work are welcome to decide on their own, if they do
not involve others.

The conditional is not part of the well-known mantra.

The issue here is to answer the question of what to do with
a non-trivial code base.  My stance is to try and fix the
problem(s), a.o. difficult management, by rooting out its
main cause: CM has become an aggregate of components with
completely different subject matters, scopes, designs,
efficiencies, provisions for extension, etc.
[An array of issues which "maven" modules will not solve.]

We are seemingly faced with a choice between:
1. Maintain CM as the huge library that it is now.
2. Incrementally create maintainable components.

A long time has passed since these alternatives were first
exposed, only proving that none of the people who informally
chose option(1) invested work to make it a reality.

Refusing option (2) not only "involves others"; it is harming
them (very real people, having done a lot of work here, on
that code base).

Establishing a new commons component doesn't
qualify, IMO.

True; that's why we are stalled, despite that a majority
of the PMC did not explicitly oppose option (2).

A handful of PMC people prefer to let the code base become
"dormant" rather than give any chance to an alternate view.
[If, say, you looked at the "Commons RNG" project, and
concluded that, decidedly, this is not how a component
should look like, then I could perhaps fathom out where
those reservations come from.]

Gilles

Jochen