> I don't agree: a source distribution assumes that one's own
> computing resources is essential.
> This project never discussed departing from the assumption
> that a contributor should be able to build locally and primarily
> check that the reports generated comply with the level of
> quality defined, implicitly and explicitly, over the years.

It does not mean that a source distribution goes away.
We have been distributing binary builds for years.

> > We have components building here and there, with multiple components
> > building on multiple systems.
> >
> > My main driver is that we already use GitHub for source mirroring and
> PRs,
>
> This also was never agreed as a change of project management;
> from a convenience, the use of GitHub has become an assumption
> to which everyone is suddenly requested to adapt to.

Requested to suddenly adopt what exactly?

> > so it feels better to me to have builds in the same place.
>
> IMHO, we should ensure that components build on Jenkins.

Why? The CI/CD system should not matter.

> More automated builds are a nice convenience.  But just that.
> Until the policy is explicitly changed and the process adapted
> accordingly, what counts is the build performed on the release
> manager's (and the reviewer's) computer.

Are we talking about changing that?

> A tangential issue is whether to use or keep on using Coveralls and
> > whether that can be made to play with GitHub or if we should just use
> > JaCoCo all over even though I am uncertain as to the liveliness of the
> > JaCoCo project.

I must have missed some of the messages.
What is the problem using Coveralls?

> I don't get why you would want us to have all our eggs in the
> same basket.

As long as we keep one egg (the sources) the other eggs don't really matter.
Could you explain the problem with the basket?

cheers,
Torsten