> On 6 Jan 2015, at 18:09, jan i <j...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> On Wednesday, January 7, 2015, Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> These are *open* source.  Plotting strategy for marketing on a private list
>> has no place in Apache projects.  Private lists have very limited
>> appropriate uses and that policy has served Apache very well.
>
> +1
>
> jan i

Say you are right. But in the “real world,” defined by personal experience and
hearsay, the result of such policies (and such tones in their articulation) is
to have discussions entirely off-list. Open source is meant to be a vehicle by
which free collaboration is enabled now and later. As we’ve surely discussed in
the past, in different contexts (at least I have; I can only assume that if you
are reading this you have, too), there’s usually a tension between what the
world expects and what we would like to do in open source. And sometimes the
balance is against us.

louis