On 1/8/15 6:53 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> But that then provides the ability to create a larger eco-system of
> binary providers.

I know I'm late to the party, but are we advocating that only having
binaries provided by third parties is a good thing, or a bad thing?

We provide software for the public good.  Much of the software we
provide happens to be fairly technical, but even so that does not mean
that most of our actual users are compiling and building everything
themselves.  I'd even bet that the majority of our individual direct
users actually grab binary or jar releases rather than original sources
for building.

I suppose CD30 covers this in the basic case: build tools - to produce
the entire project from the sources - should be widely available.  But I
definitely think that's important to consider, to make our software
truly useful for users.

- Shane

http://rfc.zeromq.org/spec:16