Thanks all for your comments, there are strong arguments against Whatsapp,
and it seems that the biggest one is that cannot be stored on ASF servers
(for now?).

Hipchat is good, but Whatsapp is ubiquitous and for many of us, number 1
messaging and communication tool.

We just need to lower the entry barriers for the non-technical
collaborators to be able to collaborate and share what are they doing, how
are they making this community better and bigger.

Thanks again,
Javier