________________________________
From: r...@gardler.org <r...@gardler.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2018 12:45:58 PM
To: dev@community.apache.org; 'Dev'; 'Myrle Krantz'
Cc: 'Mifos software development'; 'mifos-users'; u...@fineract.apache.org

A single list with good subjects is far better, from a community building
perspective, than multiple lists with reduced visibility across those lists.
Think about going to some social event where you don't know anyone. Is it
easier to enter a place that is already buzzing with activity or a place with a
handful of people talking quietly in corners? Is it more fun to be in a place
where you are confident that you "fit" because you can see the behavior of
others or to be in a place where you feel everyone is watching (and judging?)
because there are so few people you have to define the place?

Some of you will be comfortable when it is quiet, but you are the exception.

[ASIDE] Realtime communications are not inclusive. People who do not speak
English natively can struggle and those in different timezones find themselves
unable to communicate (plus splitting across too many forms of communication
can be problematic). Such things can be used and are useful for specific
purposes, but they must never become the primary source of collabroation ("if
it didn't happen on the list, it didn't happen").