Rich Bowen wrote on 2019-12-4 3:15PM EST:
> I've made two posts on this list in the past couple of days regarding
> the rising ACL effort and my concerns about it.
>
> I *desperately* want this kind of grass-roots enthusiast community
> effort. I do NOT want to kill it. But I've learned from Fedora user
> groups that allowing any random stranger to start up a group, using our
> Trademarks, to promote whatever message comes into their head, is
> *going* to bite us in the butt, sooner rather than later.
...snip...

Thanks for raising this up as the general question Rich, and yes, I
agree with you.  We've certainly had our trademarks abused in the past,
sometimes even by well-meaning groups that changed direction later, so
we absolutely need some sort of oversight here.

One place to start are existing trademark policies.  The events policy
covers all events using Apache trademarks, so start there:

  https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/events

While that is primarily written for larger events, the concepts and
rationale apply to smaller events, meetups, and things like the ALC
concept as well.  So starting with that policy, and then suggesting
specific suggestions for recurring but larger meetups like ALC would be
helpful.

Separately, I'd suggest that people read the rationale in our Domain
Name Policy - while it's about domain names, the rationale explains
important concepts about how and why the ASF needs to control use of our
trademarks.

  https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/domains#rationale

--

- Shane