Thank you Issac and Eric for raising your concerns.

Let me give a brief history from where the idea of forming official
local community was initiated.

Recently, I got the opportunity to explore the possibility of
having roadshow in India.
During this process, I faced many challenges in contacting
the local Apache people and committers, these challenges and
my previous experiences (with other communities and student community)
gives birth to the idea of forming the Apache Local Community (ALC).

Here is the mail thread for that discussion https://s.apache.org/ucfo4

So, here I would like to share with you the advantages of having official ALCs.

-- It will open the doors for having frequent and small events for the
local Open Source community.
Currently, we have ApacheCon and Roadshows. The frequency and location
of these events is limited.
With ALC we can plan smaller events, like mini-roadshows and
mini-ApacheCon type events but for this, it is very important to have
the right messaging.
To execute these events and having correct messaging, it becomes
important to form an official local community with some guidelines.

-- It will help build and expand communities.
If we have multiple local meetups by different groups,
there will not be a single place where Apache enthusiasts can meet.
Through ALC we can unite them and it will strenghth our community
reach at that local area.

The real issue here is, an Apache enthusiast (or new individual
interested in Apache)
don't know which are the existing Apache community near them,
whom they can contact and exchange their thoughts/ideas.
So, to make this community searchable, we need to list them somewhere
(like we did at https://s.apache.org/alc-chapters)
Again, if we don't form these groups officially,
we will be unable to form a single unified group in a town/city.
Thus the ALC approach will unite our scattered strength at one place
in a location.

-- It will provide a platform for different project committers from
the same town/city to meet and exchange knowledge, thoughts, and
ideas.

-- In the future, we can set a common goal for our local communities
and execute it.
Like for "e.g." if we decided as a foundation - for the next 3 months
our goal is
to increase the Apache awareness in local universities.
So to execute this goal we can guide our ALCs
to put the focused effort in Universities for the next three months
and I am sure the commulative result of this effort will be amazing.

*Important* - Targeting university as a goal was just an example.
Our goal as foundation could be anything and I am just saying
these local ALC will help us in getting them executed is a more efficient
and impactful way in the local region.

These are the some advantages of forming the official local community.
Let me bring one more point here, (which I thought could be your concern).

Trust me, the introduction of ALC will not affect anything which is
going on currently.
For e.g. if individual or group wants to execute an event/meetup
independently, they can, nobody
can/will stop them and actually, our foundation culture is such
everyone will support :)
But it will be just that, that event/meetup will not be officially by Apache.
(Although, we can encourage them to join/form a local community but
do they want to be part of ALC, or not, will always be their individual choice).
So, with the introduction of ALC, any existing thing will not be affected,
it will just open the doors for new great opportunities.

Apologies, if I misunderstood anything, hope this information will be useful.

Best regards,
Swapnil M Mane,
www.apache.org