Hello All:

The issue seems to balance control against growth (along the lines Apache wants
foster).

A way to do this would be to ensure there is a clear Apache entity, where the
ideals
and standards can be learned on these topics. As new issues arise, positions
should
be considered and defined in a timely manner, ordered by importance and this
information
should be easily accessible to those that are interested, so they can learn for
themselves
Apache's position on important topics. This doesn't take a lot of overhead,
just clarity.
Those that are sanctioned as "members" of Apache help define these ideals, and
once
published will be the stance AT THAT TIME of Apache. Apache can change its mind.

Another important aspect of this is taking feedback from all-comers. It is
valuable
information for future improvement and adaption, allowing Apache to not become
tone-def.

An analogy of this would be, anyone can say anything about you they want, but
if you
are accessible and responsive, any position can be clarified easily by anyone
interested.
One does not have to chase down all the rumor-mongers and libelists. Anyone
interested
in investigating can find out for themselves exactly what Apache's stance is.

On this particular topic, it is important for people to make a living, and
understanding
how participation in Apache can help or harm that is a really important
subject.
It is also germane to Apache's role in society and how it can optimize its
effect.

It is impossible to police everyone, but if Apache's stance can be easily
clarified,
then anyone can discern and execute for themselves, without central control, or
complex bureaucratic structure.

The beauty of Apache, is it is an idea, so it is more easily defended than many
other
things. If the ideals are well-formed and clarified, then contribution and
participation
can be maximized even from those that are not "official" as well as allowing
novel
approaches and growth that I believe Apache would seem to foster.

$0.02,
Travis