> 1.  We can all afford to volunteer our discretionary time as we see
> fit.  Not just rich or retired people have discretionary time.
> 2.  Employers can support OSS communities by allowing their employees to
> contribute as part of their jobs, but not in a "job shop" or directed way.
> 3.  Employers can support OSS by allowing their people to scratch itches
> directly.

I personally think there is a 4 th way.  I discovered it ~4 years ago
in Polidea, the
software house I co-owned, worked on and sold and eventually turned it
successfully
into my personal "business model". This is is not at all obvious why
it would work and
it was a bit of surprise for me when I discovered it and when I
successfully made living
from it (and also successfully helped with upp-ing the value of the
company I co founded
so that it could be acquired) - at the same time contributing a lot to
the success of
Apache Airflow project which became the most contributed (in terms of numbers of
contributors) project of the ASF.

The model is:

4. Organization and stakeholders in the project, rather than paying
their own employees,
pay independent third-parties to contribute to the OSS (software
houses or individuals).
This all with understanding the limitations it brings in influencing
direction of the project
and recognizing value of the parties who are intimately familiar with
not only code,
but also community and simply are the best to "make things happens" -
all according
to the rules and limitations of the ASF and (unlike the models 2. 3. )
increasing
vendor neutrality in the project rather than  decreasing it.

I think this model makes it possible to kill two birds with the same stone:

* make the model when you can make living from open source contributions
* increase vendor neutrality in the projects

It is largely described in the article which I wrote a few years back in Polidea
and reposted it after Polidea has been acquired. Since then I learned (and
tested on myself) that this is a sustainable model not only for 3rd party
software houses, but also for independent contributors like me.

https://medium.com/@jarekpotiuk/the-evolution-of-open-source-standing-on-the-shoulders-of-giants-db22dcdbca04

I really wish we could together find some ways to replicate that and
make many individual
contributors to follow this model.

J.