> On Feb 27, 2022, at 5:06 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <r...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi!
>
> over the past couple of years there has been a number
> of efforts trying to figure out effective ways of getting funded
> for working on ASF projects as individuals and not employees
> at companies building on top of these projects.
>
> Chris's recent experience is but one of them:
>    https://lists.apache.org/thread/momxgzzyq03lz54knvzhxm16r8j40vog
>
> My personal frustration with all these threads is that we never
> seem to arrive at any actionable suggestions for how developers
> like Chris can *easily* create these additional income streams.
>
> Rightfully, we at ASF basically say that it must be a 3d party issue
> to solve. It very much is. The problem is that doing so one one-off
> just perpetuates the logistical pain of setting up contracts, etc. etc.
> This creates a pretty significant barrier and, as Chris's experience
> would suggest it typically becomes too insurmountable for individual
> developers.

I whole heartedly agree that this is indeed a problem. During my tenure at
Capital One I repeatedly got poor reviews for making contributions to the ASF,
even though I had gone through their trusted contributor program. It’s almost
as if I had to hide my open source contributions from my employeer. I think
this problem is far deeper and more systemic than people think it is at first
sight.

-Rob