I quite agree with Dave - Tidelift should not be any different and should
be treated exactly the same as anyone else.

I really think what ASF could do is to (and this is how I understand
Roman's proposal):

* clarify the rules and limits (so that companies like Tidelift  - or
Google, or AWS or whoever else knows what to expect and how to adjust their
expectations (i.e not approaching the ASF and PMC but  approaching
individuals instead, not expecting PMC to endorse the company)
* help individual contributors - for example by providing them with
"compatible" or "example" rules and expectations that the contracts with
individuals can have
* make it clear that such practices are OK and somewhat promote/endorse it
(in the sense of laying out transparent, easy to find and refer-to rules
above) - also that would give some of the contributors a courage to discuss
and reach out themselves, they might not even be aware that they can ask to
be paid and what the rules are.

I think currently many of the contributors and stakeholders simply do not
know that there are some limits and rules and we can simply continue having
companies like Tidelift approaching ASF and attempting to convince ASF over
and over to something that is not compatible with the ASF rules - simply
because they do not know.

J.