Github user cammckenzie commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/curator/pull/262

    I'm conflicted about the LOST injection stuff. I guess all we can do is err
on the side of caution and leave it as is. That will cover what is presumably
the most common case, where the connection to ZK is lost rather than the case
this JIRA covers where the connection is still up but there's no heart beat.

    While we will never be able to exactly match the timing on the server side,
I think that we should strive to have a reasonable approximation of it. Not
being able to tell when the last heart beat was successfully sent to the server
is problematic.

---