Hi Drew,

The tutorial is aimed to persons that have little or no knowledge in
database design and that need to develop a functional application of
mid-level complexity. This application would stand alone in their
computers (as opposed to becoming a front end for a MySQL application
harbored in some server with multiple users, for example).

If it is possible to implement different security profiles for access to
data and data manipulation (as proposed in 3.14 of the outline) then the
assumption is that this application could be accessed by more than one
user.

If it turns out that the application can not differentiate between users
without the use of massive coding, then this point will be dropped and the
tutorial will assume that the application would have only one user.

Your comments are always welcomed. Besides, changes in the outline are
easier to implement now than later.

Right now I am finishing the research that would allow me to start
fleshing out the outline and that can help me find an example that will
have educational value.

When I find one, I will post it here as a UML diagram so we can discuss
its merits.

In the mean time, I would appreciate if you can tell me whether point 3.14
is possible or not and what would it require. The basic idea is that the
application would grant different privileges (write or read, or access to
all reports/forms or to certain reports/forms only) depending on who logs
in.

I am happy to know that you are interested in participating.

Cheers,

Mariano