Per Eriksson wrote:
Hey, I just got an idea. Maybe we should stop being old fashioned and show the user how to unpack and install using the graphical side of the operating system? I bet 90% of all the users have a graphical environment even if they like to code...

I propose to change these to something like "how to unpack using a preinstalled unpack utility" in your favourite window manager. It would focus on GNOME, with a small note about that the method is very similar on most modern Linux desktops.

I suggest including both methods, graphical and command-line, with graphical first. Also, perhaps we should mention that many (most?) Linux distros come with OOo installed, so these instructions apply only if people want to install a more recent version.

Also, I'm still unclear about what I need to do if I want to replace the version of OOo that came with my distro with a more recent version. (I know how to run the two in parallel.) To replace, do I need to uninstall the distro version of OOo first? I have seen these instructions somewhere, but I think they should either be in the document you are revising, or be linked to it.

--Jean