Hi Jean,

Jean Hollis Weber skrev:
I don't understand why the title and contents of the so-called Setup Guide (issue 102393) should be different from the download and installation instructions page on the OOo website. The info might be presented a little bit differently to suit web or PDF, but they cover much the same topics.

With the Download and Installation Instructions its primary aim is to help users getting started for the first time, to look welcoming and to getting started as quickly as possible. This page is among the first 5 documents that the new users visits. I will also ask Joost to place this instructions at the top of the right hand column (currently it's the link to the license).

The goal of the Setup Guide is to educate the user more, and provide more details and possible conciderations/decisions, describe different methods of installation, possibilities and drawbacks between them, as well as information about upgrades and references to other documentation.

I have always thought the Setup Guide was mis-named. To me it is an installation guide. "Setup" suggests it includes things after installation (more things that just what the user sees on first running a new install)... things like changing the default options and other settings to suit one's own preferences. I'm not saying the Setup Guide should have that info in it... just that the name of the document suggests to me that it would include that info.

I agree, its name should be Installation Guide. And that the guide should cover some basic setup for a desktop installation. That would not conflict with the Administration Guide.

Clayton can we arrange a small voting for this?