>> My impression is, that overloading a category impairs its
>> functionality. A Category can be a good instrument for getting an
>> overview but if its contents is scattered through several pages, the
>> overview is lost - which is the case with the Documentation Category
>> at the moment.
>> Please consider consequences before moving thousands of pages into one
>> category, particularly if it's a "main" category like Documentation.
>> A good number is about +/- 100, I think. If a category has
>> significantly more pages or subcategories, it starts to get confusing
>> and - at least in my opinion - further granularization is needed.
>> Nino
>
> You are, of course, quite right; but this is IMHO a temporary step in
> the process of getting better organized.  For instance, look at the
> number of pages in Cat:Doc whose page names begin with Doc/HowTos/Calc.
> They clearly belong in the sub-category of the same name.  Unless I'm
> very mistaken, Clayton intends to use a bot to do that, and to do
> similar things.
>
> Once he has done that, the rest of us can help with the individual pages
> that are left over.  Personally, I suggest that Cat:Doc should not have
> any pages in it at all, only sub-categories. And, we need to decide how
> to categorize the translations.
>
> We will probably end up with a large Help:Doc/Categories page,
> explaining how we want to do things.
>
> Sounds like great fun, to me! :-)

Shuffling the Categories around is not so hard with the Bot.  We just
need to identify what belongs where... and I or anyone with access to
the OOoWikiBot user can run the Bot over the pages.

Part of the prob on the Wiki is that thousands of pages have no Category
at all.. :-(

Reassigning pages from the parent to the SubCategory can and should be
done - I agree with both your comments... 1000s of pages in a Category
makes the Category unusable... each book or topic can and should be
moved to an equivalent sub category, and the Documentation Category will
be slimmed down to just the subcats.

The Calc: pages I moved on Friday were moved to the Doc parent category
partly as a test to be sure I could successfully tinker with the
Categories using the Bot (used a newly developed script for it), and
partly just to start weeding my way through the thousands of
uncategorized pages that are part of the Doc project (it's easier to
clean up the pages once they are broken into at least the parent
categories).

C.
--
Clayton Cornell       ccorn...@openoffice.org
OpenOffice.org Documentation Project co-lead