On 08/12/2010 08:31 PM, mcasan...@instituto-hispano.org wrote:
Dear community:

Please note that the completed Mid-level Base Tutorial has been posted.
You can find it at:

http://documentation.openoffice.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=778&expandFolder=778&folderID=778

Please consider this a beta version. I will be receiving feedback about it
until September and will introduce any relevant changes then. After this,
this edition will be considered frozen.

Drew, if you find this work acceptable I would appreciate if you leave a
sticky about it at the ooforum, Base. I am also very interested in your
feedback.

Cheers,

Mariano Casanova

Hi Mariano,

(First sorry if this email arrives twice...odd things with the computer today..)

I have it downloaded and have begun reading.

I used the .sql file you uploaded to create a Base file database - worked as a charm under 3.2 - 3.3 beta.

Tried a few of the queries - hit a small problem.

The document it using nice double quotes that need to be changed - and - there can be line break problems in copy/paste.

So for instance looking at the example on page #136. If I copy / paste this into a query definition I get this:

SELECT CONCAT( CONCAT( “Patient”.“Surname”, ', ' ), “Patient”.“First

Name” ) AS “Patient Name”,

“Phone Number”.“Number”,

“Phone Number”.“Description”

FROM “Patient”, “Phone Number”

WHERE “Patient”.“ID Number” = “Phone Number”.“Patient ID”

ORDER BY “Patient Name” ASC;

*chuckling*...which the email list server might change again..

OK the query fails for two reasons.

1 - the characters " and ” must be "
2 - A object name which, in this case "First Name", can not have break across lines.

So to get the query to run I need this

SELECT CONCAT( CONCAT( "Patient"."Surname", ', ' ), "Patient"."First Name" ) AS
"Patient Name",

"Phone Number"."Number",

"Phone Number"."Description"

FROM "Patient", "Phone Number"

WHERE "Patient"."ID Number" = "Phone Number"."Patient ID"

ORDER BY "Patient Name" ASC;

or this,

SELECT CONCAT( CONCAT( "Patient"."Surname", ', ' ),

"Patient"."First Name" ) AS "Patient Name",

"Phone Number"."Number",

"Phone Number"."Description"

FROM "Patient", "Phone Number"

WHERE "Patient"."ID Number" = "Phone Number"."Patient ID"

ORDER BY "Patient Name" ASC;

perhaps.

Other wise - It's reading very nicely..

Question - will you be including any example data? or an ODB file even?

Thanks

Drew