Drew:

Thank you so much for all your input and the exhaustive way in which you
are analyzing the text. Also, thank you for your words.

I read what you said about the outer joins. I did not include them simply
because I had never come across them (I am ashamed to admit). Immediately
after reading your post I went to do some research. I discovered that
different software implements them differently. Checking the hsqldb.org
website (chapter 9, version 1.8) I discovered further that the SELECT
command has syntax for a left outer join and a right outer join.

If you are so kind to send me a query that uses each I will happily
include a section on these joins (the syntax seems very different to the
implicit join syntax I have been using). So far I am able to understand
what do these joins do but I would be very appreciative if you let me know
where to find info that explains what kind of problem they were designed
to solve.

Again, thanks a lot.

Mariano.