In the near term I was thinking/hoping that simply separating the samples and
the core *source release bundles* would be less disruptive than, though a
necessary precursor to, migrating the samples to a separate repo.

If it’s simply much easier, given maven and the release plugins, to have a
separate repos to achieve separate core / samples source release bundles, then
maybe that needs to be considered now.  Chris, would you be able to set that
up?  Maybe give it a thought while I’m out.

Thanks!
— Dale