From: "Awasum Yannick" <awa...@apache.org>
To: "dev" <dev@fineract.apache.org>
Sent: Saturday, March 10, 2018 6:29:51 PM
Subject: Moving Towards Apache Compliance for Fineract CN: Hibernate to OpenJPA
Migration.

Hello Everyone,

I am hoping we could take some time to discuss and come up with approaches
for achieving full Apache compliance on the Fineract CN project.
I think there are still dependencies on Fineract CN which need some
attention in terms of checking the licenses and making sure they are
compliant with the Apache license.

To that end, I began looking at the Microservices and checking the license
of each dependency in accordance with this list:
https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html

Within the mariadb component, i realized that the
*mariadb-java-client* uses LGPL 2.1
 (Is this compliant with the Apache license? ).

I don't know if there are other dependencies which are not Apache
compliant like the known case: Hibernate.

To migrate Fineract CN from using Hibernate to using OpenJPA, we might do
the following:

* Replace the Hibernate Validator with something more Apache compliant like
javax.validation.*
or a corresponding OpenJPA library if such exists.

* Configure and set the LocalContainerEntityManagerFactoryBean ( within

MariaDBJavaConfiguratio
n )

to use the right JpaVendorAdapter ( OpenJPAs own equivalent of
HibernateJpaVendorAdapter ) within mariadb component. And also the set the
right properties for OpenJPA ( peristence unit etc ).

I will like more experienced developers/architects in the community weigh
in and provide additional details which will enable the gradual migration
from Hibernate to OpenJPA and to get other non-compliant dependencies
migrated too. From this point, volunteers can pick this up and make
progress.

Thanks.
Awasum Yannick.