On 10/19/16, 8:35 AM, "Josh Tynjala" <joshtynj...@gmail.com> wrote:

>"Despite the fact that we’re putting an emphasis on HTML performance, HTML
>objects are wrapped. (I think it’s a completely reasonable approach for
>HTML.) This causes none of the HTML APIs to leak through. The same should
>apply to Flash objects and any other future platforms we might have in the
>future."
>
>I was already leaning toward agreeing with Harbs, and this argument only
>cements it more strongly for me.

The only reason HTML objects are wrapped is because I don't know of any
other way to create a subclassing model that MXML uses.  IOW, if you could
extend HTMLButtonElement and instantiate it via "new
MyHTMLButtonElement()" the JS side would not have HTMLElementWrapper at
all.  I considered __proto__ hacking, but ruled it out.  I could certainly
be wrong, but I would be surprised if whatever new hot platform we want to
target someday doesn't have an object-oriented extension API.

I've watched as document.createEvent("MouseEvents") has been deprecated in
favor of "new MouseEvent()".  If the browsers ever did the same for
document.createElement, I would want to unwrap the JS code.  The wrapping
was not done to present a cleaner API to developers.  I would want the
tools to present the cleaner API, but let the implementation be as optimal
as possible.

That is, however, hard to do today, especially for the SWF version, since
the verifier doesn't allow subclass overrides.  So maybe we will just have
to live with wrapping both JS and SWF sides for now, but I'd like to
explore having the tools allow subclass overrides before we give up.  For
the SWF implementation, wrapping potentially means that we can't leverage
the runtime's event model and have to build out our own.

-Alex