My main concern was with the JS suffix. If we can create new products without
the JS suffix that’s fine with me.

On the other hand, if Carlos or someone else feels passionate about a name
change and volunteers to deal with the overhead I wouldn’t go against it.

From: Alex Harui<mailto:aha...@adobe.com.INVALID>
Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2017 6:33 PM
To: dev@flex.apache.org<mailto:dev@flex.apache.org>
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Name of the FlexJS Fork

Actually, my question was whether the PROJECT name is more or less
important than the PRODUCT name.  Mostly, the board/infra doesn't want us
to change the PROJECT name.  Infra replied that we can create PRODUCTs
with names that do not match the PROJECT name.

So, could we live with the PROJECT being called FlexJS forever?  If we
think we can target a different group of customers with a different
PRODUCT name we can discuss what that name is later.  Now AIUI, if we do
stick with FlexJS as the PROJECT, and later decide to create a PRODUCT
called Foo, I think somewhere on web pages for Foo it will link back
eventually to our source repositories and other pages that have the
PROJECT name "FlexJS" on it and people might go "Huh, I didn't know that
Foo was based on FlexJS".  But will they run away?

I buy lots of foods with brand names that I have no idea who the actual
manufacturer is.  In the US, a fancy brand of cookies (Pepperidge Farm) is
manufactured by the same company that makes cheap condensed soup
(Campbells).  A popular salad dressing is made by a well-known bleach
company (Clorox).  So, I agree with Carlos that it might be worth building
a whole new brand without the word Flex in it, but I think the only
question we need to answer right now is whether the PROJECT name "FlexJS"
will be a hindrance to building that brand.

Thoughts?
-Alex