+1 to include this in 1.9.0, adding some examples doesn't look like new
feature to me.
BTW, I am also trying this tutorial based on release-1.9 branch, but
blocked by:

git clone --branch release-1.10-SNAPSHOT
g...@github.com:apache/flink-playgrounds.git

Neither 1.10 nor 1.9 exists in flink-playground yet.

Best,
Kurt