On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 5:07 PM, Attila Simon <s...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> Additional libraries shipped but not mentioned in the licence file:
> hamcrest-core (BSD License), junit (BSD License), xz (
> http://git.tukaani.org/?p=xz.git;a=blob;f=COPYING),

Regarding xz it looks like while the main xz program has some weird mixed
license, the xz-java library (which is what we are using) is in the public
domain: http://git.tukaani.org/?p=xz-java.git;a=blob_plain;f=COPYING;hb=HEAD

Consulting the official ASF legal guidelines found at
https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved we can see that public domain works
are allowed to be included in ASF software releases, but attribution may be
needed. Simply adding the text of the xz-java COPYING file to the Flume
LICENSE file verbatim includes copyright and attribution so that should be
sufficient. Looking at other ASF projects that include public-domain works,
that seems to be the approach used and they don't additionally include such
attribution in their NOTICE files.

Libraries which require little correction in the name in the licence file:
> jackson-core-asl-1.<version>.jar
> jackson-mapper-asl-1.<version>.jar

This was done on purpose to make it obvious that we are using the
asl-licensed versions of jackson-1. jackson-1 is dual-licensed which the
ASF doesn't like, whereas jackson-2 is ASL 2.0.

Suggested actions:
>  1) hamcrest-core, junit these are testing libs, I think shouldn't
> be shipped (only required for tests, I guess they were added by the
> new .*shared.* module)

+1, the artifacts from kafka-shared-test should not be shipped in the
binary artifact

>  2) kafka-clients, lz4 should be added to our LICENSE file

>  3) jackson.* fix the typo in the LICENSE file

I would rather we not change this per my comment above, unless you think
it's very confusing

 4) zookeeper since we depend on zkclient instead we should remove
> this from the LICENSE file.

+1 to remove this entry from the LICENSE file now that it's no longer a
transitive dependency.