David,
Please see
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-3586#action_12540957
    To summarize, the question is whether Tomcat*Stats (and
Tomcat*StatsImpl) is a management interface or a tomcat interface. To
me, if it imports only management classes, it is a management interface
and its implementation which also imports ONLY management classes
belongs in g-management.
    Given that all management interfaces and their 33 implementations
are in g-management, I do not think it is worth the effort maintaining
duplicate classes just for Jetty. I suggest that we move Jetty*Stats
classes to g-management for now. If we start having 2 EJB
implementations, 2 Transaction managers or 2 JMS providers, then we
should implement the alternative suggested by you.

More inline...

--- David Jencks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> There's been some discussion on
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/
> GERONIMO-3586 and https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-3587
>
> about how to deal with the jetty and tomcat jsr77 statistics.  It
........................... an idea to

> suggest that might keep the container specific code in the containers
>
> and allow management code to avoid needing any container specific
> classes.

    These implementations DO NOT need any container specific classes.
Until we come across one that needs one, we should put them in
g-management.

> problems start when you try to send e.g. a JettyWebConnectorStatsImpl
>
> over the wire to a monitoring app, and the object can't be
> deserialized.

   Yes, and we must make sure that all StatsImpl (standard and geronimo
specific) are available via g-management to someone who might want to
write a stand alone client, use jconsole or any similar tool to get to
stats.

Thanks
Anita