IIUC, you are saying that the container specific StatsImpl will
have the extended map to define extra statistics, but getStats() will
return generic StatsImpl.
    JSR77.6.10.1.1 requires that for every statisitc named XYZ, there
must be a method named getXYZ to get the value of the statistics. In
other words adding statistic to the map is not enough. More inline...

--- David Jencks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> 1. Only generic interfaces in g-management, and we pretty much insist
>
> that clients use the generic interfaces only.  If they want something
>
> else its up to them to figure out how to find it, and it might not
> exist.

   If we tell the client that a component is a statisticsProvider, than
it must provide getStats() in accordance with JSR77.6.10.1.1.

> 2. Only generic interfaces in g-management, specific interfaces in
> the component modules (such as jetty/tomcat) and we expect clients to
>
> use the specific interfaces, thus they will need to import the
> component modules to get the interfaces

    That would certainly make using any other tool a bit harder than it
needs to be. One must figure out where all the StatsImpl that could
possibly be supported by geronimo are defined, and put all the jars on
the classpath.

> 3. Specific interfaces in g-management, and we expect clients to use
>
> the specific interfaces.

   I am all for this :). I am looking forward to a convincing argument
for not choosing this.

Thanks
Anita