My 2¢: I have a strong preference for NOT having a dependency on MR
anywhere :( I run my HBase cluste without YARN. Just HBase and HDFS. I like
all the features that we built. Would love to be able to use MOBs and
backups too, but don't want to bother having to install and configure YARN
just for that, as well as removing resources from HBase to give it to
yarn....

JMS