On Tue, 2016-09-20 at 11:53 -0400, Francisco Carriedo Scher wrote:
> Hi Oleg,
>

> Sounds good to me, as my main purpose with the mentor program was to
> get in touch with the project, participants and the habits, but I
> probably can get that on the fly while working in the project.
>

> I am willing to start contributing, if only I would suggest some first
> tasks that allow me to get to better know the structure of the
> project / code and, of course, any advice you could provide to avoid
> most common pitfalls.
>

> Thanks!

Hi Francisco

The very thing you should do is to fork the latest HttpCore code [1] on
GitHub and get it to compile following these instructions [2].

Make sure you can execute the unit and integration tests. They are
expected to pass (though with bleeding edge code things tend to get
broken every once in a while).

HTTP/2 is its present shape is very much work in progress. It is an
early ALPHA quality code. Everything is still subject to change. This
can be a good thing if you also want to help shape the new APIs. The bad
thing is that you will have to learn your way around the code base with
pretty much no documentation.

The place to start is actually integration tests [3]. They should give
you a feel of the new APIs. Take note of what you like and what you do
not.

What I would like to ask you to do as the first step is to get the
integration tests to run locally on your computer. Once you get there I
would like you to get those tests to run with debug logging turned on.
The instructions how to turn on debug logging can be found here [4].
Please note that the package structure has changed and you will need to
figure out how to adjust the settings to get debug logging to work.

Realistically, anyone aspiring to work on network protocol code has to
find a way to troubleshoot it. I personally find debug logging one of
the most useful tools when dealing protocol level issues (if not the
most useful).

Let me know once you get that to work.

Oleg

[1] https://github.com/apache/httpcore/tree/trunk