On 3 February 2018 at 10:32, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 2018-02-03 at 10:21 +0000, sebb wrote:
>> On 2 February 2018 at 17:41, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
>> wrote:

>> > Of course not, as long as some other poor sucker has to maintain
>> > that
>> > site.

>> > This is not so much about the look of the site being terrible
>> > (which is
>> > a consequence, not a cause) but about the way the site gets
>> > generated
>> > is terrible.
>>
>> In what way is it terrible?
>
> Being terribly broken makes it terrible, does it not?

In what way is it broken?
Specifically what way is the site generation broken?

>> And does that have anything to do with Markdown?
>
> Like, better tools tend to use markdown.

But Maven is not a content generation tool; besides it does support markdown.

>> > Have you ever wondered why there has been literally not a single
>> > contribution to our web site from an external contributor?
>> >
>> > Have you ever wondered why there have been only two substantial
>> > contributions to our documentation in the past 10 years? I suspect
>> > the
>> > reason is the same.
>>
>> There are lots of reasons why people don't contribute documentation.
>
> Absolutely. But twisted and broken tooling that generates hideous
> looking content does not really help, does it?

I think you are conflating several issues here.

Preference for markdown and its tooling
Content presentation.
Site generation.

Only the latter is really down to Maven and you have yet to explain
what it is about the site generation that is so terrible.