> > > It is, but if I am just putting together a quick module, to solve a
> > > problem and it generates the page itself, all I should have to do, is
> > > create a handler, like I did in 1.3.  If I also have to create a
> > > map_to_storage hook, then we will have broken a lot of 1.3 modules when
> > > they try to port, and I can't see a good reason for that.
> > >
> > > The map_to_storage hook should be an optimization that I want to use, not
> > > a requirement that I HAVE to use.
> >
> > you don't need to use it.
> > look at mod-status/mod-info
> > both requests aren't handled by the serving a file from the file-system.
> > they >could< write a map-to-storage hook which would return 'OK' if the
> > handler is status/info.
> > but at the moment they don't and they let it go through to the default
> > map_to_storage hook implementations, directory_walk and file_walk.
> >
> > I'm not seeing why a module developer would need to care about
> > map_to_storage unless they want serve the file from say proxy,
> > or a oracle DB for instance.
>
> Neither of those modules is trying to translate the name though. Mod_jk, and I'm
> assuming mod_webapp, both do name translation, but not map_to_storage.
> I should be able to completely forget map_to_storage exists if I want to.

What kind of name translation is mod_jk attempting to do?  If I recall correctly,
mod_jk
sets r->filename to NULL -during the name translation phase- if it determines it will
handle the request.  Setting r->filename = NULL during translation is a trick
specificially designed to prevent directory_walk from running on a URL that mod_jk
-knows-
is not in the file system. The correct way to implement this performance optimization
in
mod_jk for httpd 2.0 is to -replace- the translation phase hook with a map_to_storage
hook.  mod_jk makes the determination about whether it is going to handle the request
in
map_to_storage. If mod_jk can handle the request (content is a servlet), then it
returns
OK on the map_to_storage call which prevents all the other map_to_storage hooks from
running.

Bill

Bill