Let me try to contribute my $0.02 to the discussion:

[Like Graham, I prefer to ignore the word "1.3" in the subject line...]

Originally, there was a need to INTEGRATE two modules in order to enjoy
the features of both.

Later, thanks to the filtering infrastructure, it is possible to do
without a real merge. You still need to change some things in the
original module (and of course, to port the additional module to be a
filter rather than a simple module), but the two modules/filters can
live together, side by side.

Then, integration with mod_proxy still needed, because the connection
of mod_proxy with the backend server was still done directly, and not
through the filtering infrastructure.

Now, that this issue is being resolved too, it's the time to try to add
features to mod_proxy WITHOUT modifying it (well, you still need some
minor fixes in mod_proxy. For example, if it removes a header, no
filter can do anything about it...).

Trying to add so many features to mod_proxy, may meet the objection of
members here, who want a simple and stable mod_proxy, and may fear that
all of these additions may make mod_proxy a monster (even if it's not
true).

I think that the right way to advance this idea (to integrate both
modules), is to make mod_accel a filter. I don't have any experience
with mod_accel, so I can't promise that it's possible; However, in the
worst case, we can add filters to both sides (between the client and
the proxy, and between the proxy and the backend), plus some minor
fixes to mod_proxy, the sky is the limit...

Of course, you have to deal with many filtering chains, even 4 (2 types
- input/output, in 2 sides - between the proxy and the client, and
between the proxy and the backend), and even more (when headers can't
be manipulated in the same filter as the input/output one).

I, for myself, am going to play with adding filters to the sessions
between the proxy and the backend; I think that some cool things can be
done using it.
--
Eli Marmor
[EMAIL PROTECTED]