On Sun, 16 Nov 2003, Graham Leggett wrote:
> I think the key thing is "bugfixes" compared to "features" and
> "architecture changes".
>
> I am +1 on seeing bugfixes go into v1.3 - people are using it, and if it
> can work better, so be it. But to actively encourage people to add
> features or architecture changes to v1.3, that simply turns v1.3 into
> "something else no longer compatible with v1.3", which we already have:
> v2.0.

We have two completely different pieces of software.  The fact that they
are both called Apache is just marketing.  By saying bug fixes only in 1.3
you are effectively telling people who want to work on it to get lost.
There are plenty of evolutionary things that could be done in it short of
the revolutionary jump to Apache2.  We know the jump is too big for a big
chunk of the market but nobody seems to want to address that.

-Rasmus