Igor Kovalenko wrote:

I am just lurking here really... but a while back I did try to post some
patches dealing with QNX support to both Apache and PHP. In my humble
opinion, there was a world of difference in attitude that I have encountered
in those two projects.

The attitude of PHP folks was 'you can commit patches so long as you stand
by to fix anything you break right away' (hey Rasmus :). The very atmosphere
was rather welcoming. Hell, they even put me onto the credits page at the
time and I did not even think myself that I did that much.

You'll see some movement in the right direction. You can look in CHANGES for the names of non-core developers (people with e-mail addresses listed) and see that we have the general willingness to accept contributions; but we have had big problems losing sight of ones that weren't highly interesting to a core developer.